Saturday, December 10, 2011

Delightful December Day 10 - Homemade Tree Skirts

Tree skirts are like the perfect shoes to complete the outfit. Whether you have a themed tree or a Hodge-podge of family memories covering the limbs, every tree needs a proper skirt.

I have recently run into the problem of my pretty green and red velvet skirt being covered in cat hair, as under the tree is her favorite place to nap. It was suggested to me to cut a round flannel backed vinyl Christmas tablecloth to place around the tree, so it could be easily cleaned off.
I found a few other homemade ideas during my search for a solution and I wanted to share!

I fell in love with this ruffled skirt 
from HGTV the moment I saw it.
They offer a tutorial for this no-sew project, and though it seems time consuming, I think the result is beautiful. You could really use any combination of fabrics to match your decor!
Ashley also has a great step by step guide with pictures on her blog, The Johnston's.

I also love the look of this embroidered felt skirt from Little Birdie Secrets. You could make a simple version without the embellishments, but I think they add a really sweet touch.

I'm not sure it gets much more resourceful than this idea from Chica and Jo! How about turning a bridesmaid dress into a beautiful satin tree skirt?
As Chica says, "how many times have you heard a bride say “You can just shorten your bridesmaid dress and wear it again!” Well, by the time you cut the bottom off your dress for this project, you’ll find that what’s left of your long, formal gown is an un-hemmed party dress. Here’s your chance to make good on the bride’s idea!
I love it! 

Time to share...do you have a favorite tree skirt? Any ideas on a cat (hair) friendly tree skirt solution?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile!