Thursday, February 27, 2014

Keeping it Real: De-cluttering Kids' Rooms

I can't believe I am sharing these photos. However, this is my reality. I don't ever want you to get the wrong idea; that I have it all together. This should take care of that.

The mission seemed impossible. Find the floor. It took a few days, a lot of trash bags, and some cooperation from two boys who happen to share this room (and this mess). We did it!


How to:

1. Get rid of stuff. A lot of stuff. I asked the boys to pick two sets of toys that they play with the most. The others went out of the room. Some sold, some donated, a few in storage, and a lot in the trash.

2. Check to see if there is anything else you can get rid of. Seriously, you are on a roll, go with it!

3. Remind kids that if there are toys left on the floor, at the end of the day they will dissapear. For good.

4. Show kids where laundry hamper is located. Ahem!

5. If you find toys on the floor at the end of the day, follow through with the disappear rule! This is where I struggle. I can think if a million reasons to keep something. "It was a gift from grandma", "I spent a lot of money on that," and "it really is his favorite toy" are just a few. Be strong!

One kid room down, two more to go. Then, maybe mama's room. Yikes!


Please share...what are your best tips for keeping kids' rooms clean?


2 comments :

  1. Strangely enough our 3 year old is cleaner than me and even offers to get rid of some of her stuff when the toy box won't shut any more. When I ask her to pick up I am always pleased with the outcome... I need her to follow through with the "if it is left out" rule for me...

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile!