Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Book Review: Cleaning House by Kay Wills Wyma

I was excited to have the opportunity to read Cleaning House; A Mom's 12-Month Experiment to Rid Her Home of Youth Entitlement, as I can relate to the author as a fellow stay-at-home mom of five. The work involved in maintaining a home of seven and all that it holds can be daunting, especially if it all falls on one person.
 Cleaning House

As I scrolled through the pages on my Kindle I was open to any bits of wisdom Kay Wills Wyma could offer. The book is more of a memoir than a how-to book, but still offers a great amount of advice on getting your kids out of an entitled mindset. I really enjoyed the tips from her "ironing board," a group of wise moms who chime in on each chapter. As I read through each chapter, each one describing that month's experiment, I couldn't help but relate to all the different responses she received from her children. I can see mine reacting in just the same way. For example, I have a son who would much rather fork over the cash to buy fast food than take the time to cook for the family. Kay reveals the ups and downs of the year and I loved her honest portrayal of a home of seven different personalities. She explains how she would maybe do things differently if she had it to do all over again, which is useful information for a reader taking on the challenge.

If nothing else, it brings attention to the dangerous trap of youth entitlement and what that could mean for the future.  It is an issue I deal with daily in my household.
This is a great read for any parent. You can check out the first chapter for yourself, Read Chapter One. Or purchase the entire book here, More Info.

I love to hear from my readers! Let me know what methods have worked well for your family when it comes to dividing up household responsibilities in the comments below.

I am grateful to WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group  for the digital copy of this book I received for free for this review. All opinions are my own, and I was not reimbursed in any other form.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile!