Thursday, February 6, 2014

Celebrate the Winter Olympics 2014!

My family loves the olympic games. Every two years we gather around the TV and are inspired by the athletic talent that is displayed from all over the world. They love to cheer for the countries where they know we have ancestral roots. We do, of course, tend to cheer for our Team USA most of the time! 
It introduces my kids to different countries as well as different sporting events that they may never have otherwise been familiar with. Two years ago when my 8 year old saw the men on the pommel horse he said, "I have got to try that!" So we did. We found a local gym and signed him up 
for a boys' gymnastics class. He loved it. It only lasted a few months, but it was a great experience. This year we took the older boys skiing for the first time. They can't wait to watch the ski events this year, and have grown a greater appreciation for the sport. 

I also love to incorporate the Olympic theme with some fun treats over the weeks to get everyone in the spirit. 


You can make your own doughnuts (or buy plain from the bakery) and decorate as the Olympic rings. I bought plain cake doughnuts from the store and made my own glaze with powdered sugar and a little milk, then dipped in the appropriate colored sprinkles. I just happen to have five kids, so this was the perfect treat!

In 2012, during the Summer Olympics, my son had the idea to dress each kid in a different color and they could pose as the rings. It turned out pretty cute, so I think we may have to recreate in a winter scene for this year's games!


I can't believe how much they have changed in two years!
Go USA!

Comments make me smile! Tell me, what event are you most looking forward to during the 2014 Winter Olympics?

2 comments :

  1. We like the ski and snowboard events! The speeds those skiers reach are just crazy and my kids like the snowboarding tricks and jumps! Cute kids and cute idea for the doughnuts...may have to make those:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They have grown so much!!
    Most of the Winter Olympic sports make me nervous!! :D

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile!