Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Beginning of Our Cloth Adventure!

So my adventure begins, a new era at our house...cloth diapers! 

This is my fourth child, and I have never cloth diapered until today! It all began when I started reading more and more about the cloth diapering revolution on several blogs. I knew that there were many environmental benefits to using cloth, but honestly was a little grossed out by the idea. I did a bit more research and was quite impressed with how far cloth diapers have come since my mom used them back in the 70's. They have come so far however, that I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the choices...flats, fitteds, AIO's, pockets?! There are also so many brands I didn't know where I would start. A friend of mine, Beth, has a blog called Happily Domestic and has a lot of information on there about cloth options. Here post on starting to use cloth on a tight budget can be found here. She hadn't always cloth diapered, and like me was a little queasy at the thought of taking it on. What really got her attention was the amount of money a family can save by using cloth diapers. I was amazed when I did more research on this. We can save thousands of dollars?! That was all I needed to hear. My interest in cloth diapers had peaked just as I received an email from Beth. She was putting together a co-op of ladies to place an order for cloth diapers and in doing so could get them for a great price. This was perfect timing! I wanted to jump into cloth diapering, but did not have the finances that it takes to fuel the start up costs. I had lots of questions for Beth, and she helped answer my questions about all the who, what, why, and where's of it all. Although it will save you so much in the long run, it took several months of my diaper budget to cover the expense of 20 diapers, trash can for pail, pail liner, and diaper-safe detergent. This would have cost me so much more, but by joining in a group order I was able to do it all for about $150! Not too bad considering I shouldn't have to buy more diapers...ever!!! Okay, now realistically I will probably purchase a few replacements and honestly am already tempted to try a few different brands. But I could make it work with what I have on hand now until Baby Lu is potty trained. These diapers are one size and you use all of the snaps to make the diaper fit smaller or larger...so smart! I went to a local store called Colorado Baby to purchase my pail liner and Megan was so helpful, I know she will be a great resource in days to come! Her store is filled with everything related to cloth diapering and more. I found the cutest little shoes there, but had to stay focused darn it!
Beth delivered my diapers today, it was like Christmas at our house!

After the photo shoot, the next step was to wash them. I purchased Country Save detergent at our Natural Grocers store and put them all in for their first wash. I was so excited to pull them all out and assemble the liners into the pockets. I purchased Kawaii pocket type diapers with microfiber inserts. Kawaii means cute in Japanese. It seems fitting since Baby Lu is 1/8 Japanese! As I was assembling things the three big brothers were fascinated by it all and had lots of questions.There was no turning back, we were running out of disposables (I am keeping a few on hand for outings and trips) and it was time to put Baby Lu in her first cloth diaper! I was so excited about the cute print (I hear that purchasing these can be addicting and now I see why) and as soon as we got it all snapped we had to take her picture!

So our adventure has just begun and I am so glad you are joining me, I am sure I will have lots of stories to share! I thought I had this baby thing down by now, and it feels like I am starting all over! I am excited, but also a bit nervous. Stay tuned as the adventure continues...

4 comments :

  1. Cloth diapering is so much fun, you will be a certified addict in no time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been scared to cloth diaper! I've heard it's great and like Maria said...so addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, she's SO cute!!! And I hear that cloth diapering is addictive too... Good luck!
    Following from MBC, I started @ the bottom of the list because members were newer...like me. :) http://meanttobemama.blogspot.com if you could come check me out too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED reading this Jodi! :-) So glad you like your diapers. Your baby girl looks so Kawaii. ;-)
    Thanks for all the mention about me, I feel spoiled! lol

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile!