Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Monday's Meal

I love Mondays! I bet you don't hear that very often. Well, at our house Monday means I don't have to leave the house except to pick the kids up from school. No sports, volunteering, appointments...I get to be home! So, on Monday's I am able to put a little more effort into mealtime. This week I found a good deal on pork, but forgot to get panko, so I browsed online for a sweet and sour pork batter recipe.
This is what I came up with:

  Ingredients:

  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup cornstarch
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil 
  • 1/3 cup warm water, as needed
  Directions for sweet and sour pork:

Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes. Marinate in the soy sauce and cornstarch for 20 minutes.
Heat the oil for deep--frying to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

For the batter, combine the flour and cornstarch. Stir in the egg white and vegetable oil. Add as much of the warm water as is needed to form a thick batter that is neither too dry or too moist. (The batter should not be runny, but should drop off the back of a spoon).

Dip the marinated pork cubes in the batter. Deep-fry in batches, taking care not to overcrowd the wok. Deep-fry the pork until it is golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.


It turned out great and the boys kept asking for more! I think the soy sauce marinade really helped the flavor. I did not attempt to make my own sauce since we had some in the fridge. I made rice and steamed some stir fry vegetables as well. Not the healthiest thing on our weekly menu, but we have to indulge every now and then!
The full recipe can be found HERE.

Tonight's menu...roasted chicken! What's cooking in your kitchen?!

1 comment :

  1. last night meatloaf... tonight lasagna.. tomorrow cheesy ham chowder ... made the meatloaf and lasagna last night :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments Make Me Smile!