Sunday, March 16, 2014

Trip Planning: Choosing a Hotel

I love trip planning.
I should really look into a travel agent job, because I almost enjoy the planning part better than the actual trip.
Okay, I guess I wouldn't go that far. It is just so fun to see all of the options, compare deals, find new attractions to visit.
I am currently planning three trips for our family. I am in heaven!

Once I know the dates of a trip I get online and start with where we will stay. I love Tripadvisor.com to compare hotels and read reviews. I like to scroll through the travelers photo section to get a real view of what it looks like. Make sure you check the dates of the photos, some of them where taken a decade ago and the hotel has probably undergone renovations. You can also read reviews by category such as families, couples, or business travelers. Check out the "room tip" option too, this will tell you things like where the best views are or where the quietest rooms are located.

What I look for in a hotel:
> Affordable. Always check for any parking or resort fees since those can really add to your total. They won't be revealed in the rate shown on most hotel booking sites, you have to read the fine print.
> Room for a large family
> Free breakfast
> Pool
> Fridge in room. Not a deal-breaker, but nice for milk and snacks for kids.
> Reviews of clean rooms. NO bed bugs!
> Close proximity to attractions that we want to visit, or at least an easy route to and from.


If I am planning a trip for just me and the hubby I will often check the "secret hotel" rates on Priceline and Hotwire. Priceline only guarantees a room for two adults with these rates, though sometimes it does give you a "select your bed" option. Hotwire lets you tell how many travelers you have, up to 4, and could be more accomidating if you need more than one bed. They will tell you the area (sometimes a pretty big range) where the hotel is located, as well as the rating and a few amenities it offers. 
The trick here is that you don't really know what you are going to get. You can do your best to figure it out, sites like betterbidding.com can help with that, but ultimately it is a gamble.
It has worked okay for me in the past, so I say if you area really looking for a steal it is worth a try. Remember to read the fine print, since some places will tack on a "resort fee" to you rate, making it not such a great deal. Priceline also has the "name your price" option, but I have not tried this myself. There are many sites that can explain it better than me, but basically you pick your area and rating then tell how much you are willing to pay. They will either accept and you will be booked right then (no refunds) or rejected and you can add more areas, lower ratings, or bid a higher price to try again.

When we travel all together as a family I need to know that there will be room for everyone. I have found a great resource to find rooms that will sleep 6-8 people in a website names sixsuitcasetravel.com. If you are looking for options for big family or group it will let you know your options in each city.

We have had great luck with Embassy Suites, they offer a full breakfast buffet including made to order omelets and pancakes. The bedroom, with two queens, is separated from the living area by a door. This helps when we have younger kids that need to go to bed before anyone else. The sofa turns into a sleeper, so the older kids usually share it.

In smaller towns we have had good experiences with Best Western Plus hotels. I have been surprised more than once by the rooms and breakfast.

One of the best ways to find a decent hotel is to ask your friends and family. That way you are getting an honest review by someone you trust.

I have recently been introduced to the Hyatt line of hotels. I have always thought that they were in the luxury price range, so never really looked into booking one. We have an upcoming trip to Denver where we are trying out the Hyatt House and I am really looking forward to it. A friend, who travels there more often that me, suggested it and I can't believe never knew about it as an option before. It offers a two bedroom suite, one with two queens and one with a king, and a living area with kitchenette. Yes, that is three rooms! I was surprised by how affordable it was, especially compared to the other option of getting two connecting (if you're lucky) rooms at other hotels. Hyatt House also offers a full breakfast. An evening reception is offered during the business week with snacks and drinks. The Hyatt Place hotels have an option with two queens and sofa bed, and I have heard the breakfast is great. Perhaps one day I will even find myself at one of Hyatt's exotic resorts! Dream big, right?!


The great thing about picking one brand of hotel for your stays is that you can earn rewards. Most chains offer some type of rewards program, so booking your stays with them can earn you a free night. Of course you could stay at an amazing location in one city and find it to a different story in another city. At least you have an idea of what to expect and are getting rewarded for your loyalty.

 Do you have a recommendation for your favorite family friendly hotel or resources for finding one?



 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Comments Make Me Smile!